Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Ford Expedition

Like I said last week, the next thing we shall do is throw in American SUVs to see how well they do against those from Europe and I have not forgotten the Japanese as well. That's coming  soon too. Where would I go but where it all started and that's at Ford. Don't forget I  am going to showrooms like I am purchasing a car for myself so it matters greatly what the sales people will say and how they treat me. I always approach any showroom with the utmost respect and I think its always good to have that reciprocated. Now the guys at Ford Lancaster were very helpful and I enjoyed myself there.

As you can tell the Expedition looks good and the feel is that of a Master in the game. Remember these guys have been making cars from day one and know a thing or two. This is a big motor by any standards so getting it , one has to make sure their pockets are deep gas wise 14litres to the gallon City and 20litres  Highway. Not a high end vehicle but made for the working class American this car serves that market very well. Eye candy if you ask me this car is. The way people like to "hook up their cars" as it were in America, perfect candidate.Seven seater and the seven will sit without feeling like they are going to federal prison especially the two at the back. Although I have to say that comfort  is compromised a bit because you are sat right on top of the rear axle which takes some hammering during any journey. Saying that though there is room still in the back of the car to put  some luggage for that day out or that holiday. Space and comfort in one SUV, now there is something you dont often see in a car with very good drivability.

The drive was much better than I had anticipated, after all every time Ford is mentioned there is a tendency to just dismiss them as lowbrow. I drove it out of the lot and the ride was quite smooth. Silent purr under me and I knew I was packing heat. Soon as I had a chance I was pedal to the metal and this beast came to life and just chewed the asphalt in front with ease. Impressive or what? The braking was really good for a big car too. Handling was pretty good too because the suspension is sturdy.Good job FORD because this in the most important aspect on any car. One must feel they have control of the machine they are running. Compared to the Audi Q7, you don't necessarily need the extra kick to get past those ghastly rigs who are unpredictable on the freeway. City driving was impressive too because the Expedition can hold its own amongst the City slickers. Like I mentioned earlier gas guzzler this one and not very friendly to the environment. Ford are still lagging in technology like the reverse camera accessory, folding mirrors and these hybrids that everyone is making these days. But I would say for just over $35000.00 one does not feel like they have had their pants pulled down like at BMW.

Not a bad family car to be honest. I would recommend  people to have a look and see what they think.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review some very wise words, keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete